Director of the International Environmental Institute, IIIEE - Lund University
Director of the International Environmental Institute, IIIEE
International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics (IIIEE)
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 400 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Director of the International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics (IIIEE)
Join our International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics (IIIEE), with the aim to find pathways towards low-carbon and resource efficient sustainable futures. We are looking for a highly qualified candidate to lead, develop and coordinate an interdisciplinary research and education institution with great ambitions.
The International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics (IIIEE) is an international centre within Lund University founded in 1994 to address complex environmental challenges. To engage with this complexity, the IIIEE has developed genuine interdisciplinary education and research and the capacity to synthesize insights, not only from economic theory and practice but also from natural sciences, engineering, political science, organizational, legal and behavioural studies. The IIIEE academic staff brings together diverse expertise in these disciplines.
In contrast to the prevailing focus on environmental problems, the IIIEE emphasizes pathways towards sustainable solutions. The focus is on advancing and disseminating knowledge on how to catalyze the transition to low-carbon and resource efficient economies across different levels of governance and management. These include:
- International and national policy intervention
- Urban governance and experimentation
- Business management and practice
- Consumption governance
Close collaboration with businesses, public authorities and other societal partners is at the core of IIIEE education and research activities.
The IIIEE has approximately 25 senior researchers and 10 PhD candidates, and in total, more than 15 nationalities are represented among the staff. Each year we are engaged in approximately 30 interdisciplinary research projects funded by Swedish and international funding agencies. Over the last 5 years we have collaborated with more than 100 international research partners and more than 50 businesses, public authorities and other societal partners. The IIIEE researchers are also invited as scientific experts by a number of international organizations, such as the IPCC, the IEA, the EU Commission and UN organizations. The IIIEE operates two international Master’s programmes, several free-standing courses, and PhD education. Each year we attract more than 50 Master’s students from all over the world to study in our international Master´s programmes. Our latest educational effort is a series of Massive Open Online Courses under the theme of ”Greening the Economy”, which so far has engaged over 120 000 participants in more than 175 countries. The IIIEE working language is English. https://www.iiiee.lu.se/
Director of the IIIEE in combination with a permanent position at the Institute.
The position is permanent with a three-year assignment as director and head of department; the assignment as director and head of department can be extended for additional three-year periods subject to mutual consent. The permanent position will be an administrative one at the point of appointment, but appointment will be combined with an agreed pathway to an academic position as senior lecturer or professor. The appropriate pathway should be agreed with the chairperson of the board.
Description of the Position
We invite applicants with a wish to advance our vibrant interdisciplinary organization which is driven by scientific excellence together and by collaboration with business and societal partners and engagement in policy-making.
The Director has the overall responsibility for the IIIEE and reports to the Institute’s board. The responsibilities include:
- providing strategic and operational leadership to the IIIEE
- managing and developing financial and human resources at the Institute
- developing new funding opportunities for research and education
- leading the IIIEE management team and assisting with shaping the ongoing strategic development of the organization
- representing the IIIEE externally at relevant events and manage relations with strategic partners and funding organizations in Sweden and in international contexts
- promoting and developing collaboration activities with world class research institutions, industry, business and society, and promote and develop the impact of the Institute’s activities
The successful candidate shall have a doctoral degree and scientific competence within the Institute's fields of research activity; the successful candidate shall, in addition, have international experience and the teaching and other qualifications needed to fulfill the tasks associated with the employment.
The successful candidate has an established academic position with qualification as senior lecturer or professor, and is ready for a full commitment leading the Institute for the coming three-year period/periods.
The successful candidate shall also:
- have proven leadership and management skills in academic contexts
- have an understanding of the role of the Institute and a capacity to pursue development in its various activities
- have proven interpersonal and communication skills with written and spoken fluency in English, preferably also in Swedish
The successful candidate shall also fulfill a number of the following criteria:
- have a good ability to manage and develop financial and human resources in an academic organization
- have a good ability to engage, motivate and interact with staff and students
- have an excellent academic standing in areas relevant for the Institute’s research activities
- have a strong reputation as a researcher
- have a strong commitment to the management and execution of teaching
- have a good ability to promote the Institute’s interests in terms of funding for research and education
- have a proven ability to operate in both Swedish and international contexts
- have a good ability to work on issues concerning the work environment, gender equality and diversity
- have a high level of personal integrity
In assessment, particular emphasis will be given to leadership and management skills.
Instructions on how to apply
The application shall be written in English. Draw up the application in accordance with the instructions found here: Instructions
Please include your salary requirements in your application.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
Type of employment Permanent position
Contract type Full time
First day of employment 2019-01-01
Number of positions 1
Working hours 100%
County Skåne län
Reference number PA2018/722
- Fredrik Andersson, Chairperson of the board, +46-46-2228676, email@example.com
- OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-222 93 62
- SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, 046-222 93 64
- SEKO: Seko Civil, 046-222 93 66
Last application date 30.Apr.2018 11:59 PM CET