Associate senior lecturer in numerical analysis
Associate senior lecturer in numerical analysis
Lunds universitet, Lunds Tekniska Högskola, Matematikcentrum, LTH
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 400 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
The position constitutes a unique career opportunity, with the intent that the successful candidate will initiate and develop a long-term research activity. The research is expected to contribute to the grand challenges within mathematics for artificial intelligence (AI), which Lund University and the Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP) are currently facing. With the position follows research funding consisting of postdoc funding for 5 years, one PhD position and project related costs amounting to a yearly level of 60000 SEK.
Artificial intelligence has the potential to become the main technological breakthrough of the 21st century, possessing great possibilities as well as grand challenges. WASP is now launching a program to develop the mathematics related to AI, with the aim to promote the AI competence in Sweden. The current call is part of this program and is intended to further develop the research environment within machine learning at the Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Lund University. The position will be placed at the Division of Mathematics LTH and Numerical Analysis.
The proposed research field is numerical optimization for large-scale machine learning, with a focus on theory and method development based on time dependent differential equations. The research is expected to generate new mathematical analyses for the next generation of optimization schemes in machine learning, as well as methods and software for interdisciplinary collaborations within AI.
Employment as an associate senior lecturer is a career development position and aims for the holder to develop his or her independence as a researcher and educator. The work duties mainly involves research, but also teaching.
Detailed description of the work duties, such as:
- Creating a leading research group that is beneficial for the AI research in Sweden.
- Research within the subject area to an extent of at least 70%.
- Supervision of degree projects, doctoral students and postdocs.
- Collaboration with other WASP nodes, industry and wider society.
- Actively seeking external research funding.
- Teaching in the first, second and third cycles of studies.
- Administration related to the work duties listed above.
The position shall include the opportunity for five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning.
Appointment to associate senior lecturer requires that the applicant has a PhD, or acquired corresponding research expertise. Priority should be given to applicants who have completed their degree or acquired the corresponding expertise no more than five years before the last date for applications.
- Documented expertise within the subject area.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
For appointments to associate senior lecturer, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- Ability to develop and conduct research within the subject area.
- International research experience and potential to strengthen the mathematical AI research in Sweden.
- Ability to obtain external funding grants in competition.
- Teaching skills.
Consideration will also be given to ability to co-operate, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research, education and innovation within the Centre for Mathematical Sciences, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of 5 years. The period of employment is determined in accordance with Chapter 4 Section 12a§ HEA.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English. Draw up the application in accordance with the Academic qualifications portfolio at LTH, se link below, and attach it as three PDF files (in the recruitment system). Read more here:
Promotion to senior lecturer in numerical analysis
During the period of employment, an associate senior lecturer can apply for appointment to a permanent position as senior lecturer if he or she has the required qualifications listed below, and is deemed to be suitable. An associate senior lecturer can only apply for promotion once.
Appointment to senior lecturer requires that the applicant has:
- A PhD or corresponding research competence or professional expertise considered important with regard to the subject matter of the post and the work duties it will involve.
- Demonstrated teaching expertise.
- Completed five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning, or acquired equivalent knowledge by other means.
When assessing the applicants, special importance will be given to research and teaching expertise.
For appointments to senior lecturer, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good national and international standing as a researcher. The requirement for international experience shall be assessed with consideration to the character and traditions of the subject.
- Good teaching ability, including a good ability to conduct, develop and lead teaching and other educational activities on different levels and using a variety of teaching methods.
- An ability to supervise doctoral students to achieve a PhD.
- An ability to collaborate with wider society and communicate his or her activities.
- A good general ability to lead and develop activities.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
Type of employment Permanent position
Contract type Full time
First day of employment Enligt överenskommelse
Number of positions 1
Working hours 100
County Skåne län
Reference number PA2018/1398
- Eskil Hansen, 046 222 9628
- OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-222 93 62
- SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, 046-222 93 64
- SEKO: Seko Civil, 046-222 93 66
Last application date 21.Oct.2018 11:59 PM CET