About the Role
Sylvamo is now looking for an ambitious Senior Legal Counsel, who can provide legal support and expertise regarding legal issues arising from business activities with customers, partners and suppliers.
The position reports to General Counsel in the Brussels and aims at supporting the business in all legal matters where the key responsibilities include:
In alignment with the Senior Legal Counsel reviewing commercial agreements of the French mill:
- Review purchase contracts and templates when needed (e.g., for transportation and/or warehousing services, purchase of raw materials and chemicals, new equipment, maintenance services, etc.). Discuss with the Swedish mill Procurement team (and the central Sourcing teams in Krakow/Memphis, when applicable) the desired business changes, draft those amendments and the legal edits to improve our rights as a purchaser, work with the Procurement/Sourcing teams in reviewing the successive rounds of versions, help them negotiate with suppliers/contractors if needed. Help keep General Terms of Purchase up to date.
- Support the Europe Supply Chain team as needed, especially in case of damage to goods, disputes on costs charged to Sylvamo, cargo hold on Sylvamo goods by providers, strikes affecting delivery times, etc.
- Review customer contracts of the Swedish mill and the related agreements (e.g., for bonuses and rebates to the customers, marketing services charged by customers, etc.). Discuss with the Sales team the desired business changes, draft those amendments and the legal edits to improve our rights as a seller, work with Sales in reviewing the successive rounds of versions, help them negotiate with customers if needed. Deploy the annual process to manage timing and team workload and the timing strategy for negotiations. Help keep General Terms of Sales up to date.
- Review agency agreements and templates when needed.
- For new projects or business relations for which no template or previous contract is available, draft a new template or contractin coordination with the local and regional business teams, and help finalize if for that project or relation and for further use.
- Generally, assist the business and support functions when needed, on permanent basis (e.g. legal aspects relating to the mill, cogeneration plant, warehouses, etc.) or on occasional basis (e.g. legal claims against customers, suppliers, contractors or other vendors, including insurance companies, interface with outside counsel in commercial litigations, legal support in specific projects from time to time, etc.).
- When other in-house or outside counsels work on similar matters (e.g., review of regional or global sourcing contracts governed by other country laws), provide Swedish law input when needed and help collect business input from the Swedish business teams concerned.
- When a matter governed by Swedish law requires legal input under other country laws (e.g., exercise of retention title rights at a customer’s warehouse abroad), engage outside counsel per the list of pre-approved law firms, negotiate the engagement terms if possible, coordinate for the review and assess the input received, monitor legal fees and verify invoices.
- Besides commercial agreements with business partners, help identify and prepare in coordination with HR, Accounting and Tax the internal intercompany agreements needed, per existing templates (e.g., service agreement, recharge agreement in relation to a secondment) or a new draft ad hoc. Supervise uploading in and maintenance of the EMEA database of intercompany agreements (available to Accounting and Tax for their purposes) by the Paralegal and Regional Subsidiary Coordinator
- Arrange for signing of final documents, wet-ink or electronically as appropriate (SES, AES or QES e-signing), with assistance of the Paralegal and Regional Subsidiary Coordinator.
- Save execution copies, signed copies and important notes in the e-Legal folders per the applicable naming and saving processes. If a contract database would be launched, help structure the underlying process, assist for the design and implementation and ensure maintenance of the tool.
- Follow-up on legal fees by controlled use of legal counsel, fee quotes, review/correction of invoices and monitoring of legal work performed directly for HR or other functions.
- Assist the Europe Legal team for its periodical internal reports to the Memphis headquarters, e.g. about revenue recognition (in relation to customer contracts) and the booking of legal reserves (Litigation Report and Reserve Memos).
- Provide support to the General Counsel as may be needed on ad hoc basis, such as holiday back-up and assistance in projects.
We are looking for someone with a law degree in business law and relevant experience in an international business environment or law firm. You are familiar with international contracts and have had exposure to international practices through work experience. It is considered a requirement to be familiar with public tenders and public procurement. Fluency in Swedish is required for this position. In addition, excellent English language skills are also expected.
On top of that we are looking for an open-minded, solutions-oriented team player. We appreciate a proactive approach to tasks and encourage taking initiatives and responsibilities. The right candidate has an operational approach, commercial understanding and thrives in a position working closely with all ends of our business.
- Background: At least 7 years’ experience in drafting of business contracts, at well-known law firm(s) assisting international customers and preferably also in industrial company/ies with cross-border operations. Ease in negotiating terms when needed
- Languages: Native in Swedish, fluent in English (written and spoken). Other languages appreciated but not required (no selection criteria)
- Personal skills: Proactivity in identifying needs for legal input, ensuring timely legal review of documents, organizing the legal work and taking the lead when useful to facilitate cooperation in projects involving legal steps. Excellent team spirit and comfort in communicating internally and with business partners. Agility in learning about the business and identifying points of focus, without neglecting other legal elements and quality work standards
- Technical skills: Comfort in using videoconference platforms (Teams etc.), Word, Excel (basics), PowerPoint and Outlook.
Application and Enquiries
We are working with Sharp Recruitment & Consultants in this recruitment. For questions regarding Sylvamo and/or the position, please contact Ron Cohen on +46 73 518 51 88 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications and CVs should be submitted in English and they will all be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling-basis.